If you’ve reached Step 4 then …..
1) You’ve completed your search and are fairly confident your product isn’t out there. OR …
2) You’re going to hire a professional searcher (patent agent or attorney) to do the search for you.
3) You need a 3D model to better explain your product to your patent attorney or agent.
At this point, you may or may not, depending on the product, need a 3D model with some pics and/or drawings to better explain your product to your searcher. If you’re still in the process of verifying that “it’s not out there”, you don’t have to make a full blown detailed and engineered model in order to show your searcher what it is you’ve invented. It may be that a model of what you’re thinking, without all the inner workings, would be enough. I can help you with that, whether you need a detailed model or simply one to present to your searcher.
So either way, this is where I come in. But wait! One more thing! Before you decide to hire me, you should have an idea of “in what capacity”. That’s to say, in what capacity do you need me to work for you? What can I produce for you that you can use? Well the first thing to do is decide who you’re going to try and market this to. Here are some examples:
1) Are you going to crowd-fund this and take a zillion orders yourself and then hire a manufacturer to produce them for you? You’ll do all the shipping and stocking of products, will pay the manufacturing costs, and take the remainder for profit. Or…..
2) Are you going to bring your idea to a company who could use your idea and then license them to produce it while you take a 2-5% of the retail costs as your profit? In this scenario they would be responsible (if you write it into the agreement) for protecting your patent and going after infringing parties. Or….
3) Are you going to sell your idea completely, in one lump sum to a company? (Not likely) You’ll probably run into the “Not Invented Here” syndrome. But if it were the case that a company wanted to buy you outright, it would be a very unique idea for the demographic you’re pursuing.
However that you envision your product hitting the market, and in what capacity, will play a pivotal role in what type of files or products I produce for you. If you’re not sure what to do you can always contact me. If you’re going to build a working prototype from the files I make, then design and stress testing will be imperative. You’ll want your design to work. So we’ll have to set it up with clearances and materials used etc. If it’s simply an idea that is workable, but you think the company you’re selling to will want to tweak it to fit their own product, then I would not spend as much time on the finer points of the design but rather leave that for your buyer. They are going to want to have their own designers and engineers verify your design if they’re going to be investing their capital into it.